Thursday, October 8, 2015

My Fall Garden




Little baby broccoli

Mystery squash that I planted in egg shells to keep them separate.

My loofa finally produced a gourd and I am so excited about it.



If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I am trying a fall garden this year. I am very new to fall gardening. I grew lettuce with my mom once when I was 12 but that's the closest I've ever come to growing anything past late August. And although I grew up having gardens every year, this past summer was the first time I had one of my own, and I had such a good time with it that I wanted to keep going. So I started researching cool weather crops and decided to try lettuce, spinach, carrots, broccoli, garlic, and some kind of mystery squash that I've never heard of before. The seed packet told me it could be planted in early spring and again in August, so I planted it in September and hoped for the best. We'll see if it actually works. Either way, this whole project is somewhat of an experiment.  

Today, I planted my garlic in my garden. I got the cloves started in pots a few weeks ago so that I could keep a closer watch on them. They grew so much faster than I thought they would and seem to be doing so well that I planted more straight into the ground with the transplants. I was a little worried how I was going to separate the bulbs when I saw the tangle of roots, but, to my surprise, they pulled apart very easily. 

I also planted my little squash seedlings. I got the seeds started in egg shells from my compost to keep the plants separated and it worked great! I just crushed the shell before I put them in the ground. 

My broccoli still has a long way to go. The weather has been a little warmer and sunnier the past few days, so I hope the encourages them to grow faster. So far so good!



No comments: