Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles! Oh My!
















This past weekend was my nephew's 2nd birthday. We usually only have family and maybe one or two friends at birthday parties, but, coming from a family of seven, that's usually enough people to fill a house.

Daniel is going through a planes and trains phase right now. Everything is choo choo, and when he sees a plane flying over, he excitedly announces it. So this year, I made a transportation themed cake with cars, trucks, airplanes, and a train made out of colored fondant. I usually make my own fondant but sometimes it's easier to buy brightly colored fondant than it is to add enough color to get colors like red or black, so I used a mix of homemade and store bought for this cake. As usual, it took longer than I thought to make all the little pieces, so I recruited Jordan to help and he ended up making all the buildings for the city for me. I'm not sure if the kids realized that it was a cake and not a toy at first. All the little boys wanted to touch it and pull the pieces off.  





6 comments:

Unknown said...

It was adorable! Great job as always!

Maryanne Harris said...

So adorable! Great job!!

Danielle said...

So cute and whimsical! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Nice job with the cake! That's cute that Jordan came to help you finish it 😊

Unknown said...

Love both of your cakes! What recipe do you use for your fondant?

Unknown said...

I make a marshmallow fondant using my stand mixer. It's a little too in-depth to write in a comment, but I will be sure to share it when I make my next batch.